Sunday, August 20, 2006


Do you remember in your youth making lists of things to do and using the phrase, "ride bikes?"

"Hey, Joe, what's new?"
"Nothing much. Do you wanna go play?"
"Sure. What shall we do?"
"I dunno. Wanna ride bikes?"
"Swell!"

There was no destination, pre-approved distance or route planning involved. I remember, in my own tween years, simply getting on my trusty Peugeot (I owned a french bike when I was ten?!?!) and meandering around with my friend Josh on his Winnebago, with as much plan or purpose as the most capricious zephyr. At most we would stop at Emmigration Market for as long as it took us to stuff our mouths with gumballs.

One of the benefits of being unemployed for a number of weeks in mid-coast California: the opportunity to relive youth-hood moments with your young and beautiful wife. We've recently taken to using the bike path near our house and "riding bikes" nearly every day. As a matter of fact we've managed to re-incorporate this specific general term to describe the activity. And, as shown by the picture above, we've been able to recapture some of the spirit of those days, as well.

Sigh. I'm going to hate working. I wanna be a kid forever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Kent said...

So glad the photo inspired childhood memoirs.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Hydro said...

You guys look so happy! I just have one issue: my bike was a schwinn, not a winnebago. But thanks for playing.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home