Monday, June 11, 2007

Isn't it wonderful to converse every once in a while with people who appear to have entirely lost their sense of logic? I'm in contact with this person who just about every time I talk to her completely blows my mind by the strange, outlandish connections that she makes between something I say and something completely outside the realm of human understanding. I'll give two examples:

1) She and I talk about the difference between contracting an individual translator and contracting an "outsourcer," or group of translators.

"You know what it's like? You'll get this. This is what it's exactly like. I'll bet this happens to you all the time. It's like you can either take your wife to a restaurant, and she'll either order something she totally loves or totally hates, or you can go to the store and buy like a bunch of frozen meals, and add one or two things to them, so you know, if your wife doesn't like it, you can at least say, 'well, the frozen food wasn't very good to begin with, and I added just a little bit.' Isn't that exactly what it's like? I tell you, that happens all the time."
I stare dumbly.

2) I had a class with her at school. We were in a class with a professor who's son lives in Mexico.

"Isn't it nice just to see him on line every now and again? It's like, at least you know that he's alive and doing something. Unless, of course, like he's had a heart attack and died, or people have killed him and taken over his computer or something like that. You know."

I love it. It's like every time she pops into my office I'm off on this magical journey into Non-Sequitur land. Hooray for strange people.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I'm glad you're laughing. I'd be a little afraid....my favorite is when you get people making comments like those in church. The gospel is like ice cream because....huh?

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home