Friday, March 23, 2007


I've missed a couple of important birthdays; luckily they both happened on the same day (March 21st ((and ps, happy spring))).

1) J.s. Bach, my favorite composer, for two reasons:
a) The Six Suites for Unaccompanied Cello. Due to the move to CA and my new adopted career, my collection of sheet music has dwindled to just two books.
i) Yampolski Cello Etudes
ii) The Leonard Rose edition of the Six Suites for Unaccompanied Cello. and I must say, if all I ever really mastered on cello in my life were the notes in these two books, I would consider myself a great cellist.

b) The St. Matthew's Passion, which really brought Bach to fame, 75 years after his own death. Mr. Bach, two days ago, I'm sure that in some dark, gothic, German cathedral, a lonely organ played for thee.

2) Some lady whose name I'm ashamed to say I can't remember, but I thought her inclusion merited mentioning, as she was the lady who translated the entire works of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and later retranslated "Don Quixote," which is a chore just to read, let alone to translate. And really, as we translators and interpreters make a career out of blending into the background, any reason to laud or applaud one of our kind is a reason in itself to post.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that's where the Yampolsky is! If you could play all of the notes in those two books, you could play any notes in any books. Is it getting warm there? MRL

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home