Thursday, February 15, 2007


This is the famed Dick Feynman, winner of the Nobel Prize for something or other, one of the many fathers of the atom bomb, author of one of my favorite books: Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"
In it, he describes how, as a child, he was sucked into the world of science, literally by the power of word-of-mouth advertising: he had no money to buy a brand new radio, so he found an old one on the street and decided to fix it up. It didn't take long for his siblings to find out that he could fix a wireless set, nor to begin to bring their problems to him. Pretty soon it was all over the neighborhood that there was this boy who was really good at fixing wireless sets, and was willing to take on any job where an electronic device needed to be fixed. Though, by his own admission, Mr. Feynman started off knowing no more about how to fix electronic devices than the people who were asking him.
I'm somewhat proud and somewhat saddened to say that I'm passing through a similar circumstance.
The other day two boys that I share a workspace with were having some technical difficulties with their laptop. It just wouldn't connect to the wireless internet, no matter what they did. I was fly on the wall to their conversation and in the back of my head I remembered that people on my school campus had had similar problems in the past. I also remembered how simple this particular conundrum was to fix; though it was so stupidly obvious that nearly everyone, including the technicians at the computer lab, overlooked it.
So I took a chance and walked over to the laptop in question and pushed the little button that enables the computer to seek for a wireless internet signal. And just like that, I became the Office Computer Expert.
Since then I've been installing software, connecting printers, setting up machines on the office intranet, all kinds of stuff that I have no idea even what I'm doing, but that I can manage simply by brute force.
Of course, this is cutting increasingly into my Project Managing time, for which I was hired. The season is approaching when I need to pin down a summer internship that will look good on my resume and hone my skills. Will I be able to remain employed here? If so, in what capacity?

End Transmission.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Kent said...

Hey that's funny. That's how I became "IT Manager" at IDFL. I still don't know what the hell I'm doing.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home