Monday, January 22, 2007

Okay, okay. Last post (made < one hour ago) lacked some crucial news and events:

Today I finally start back into school again. Funny, actually. I woke up this morning and was instantly swamped with things to do. Grad work is certainly different than other educational experiences. I remember those good old days at the U of U where the first day of class consisted of getting a copy of the syllabus then promptly walking out the door to go get breakfast at Big Ed's. The first week after that was getting to know everybody's name, going over the course materials, and, if you're lucky, going for a tour of the library.
Not so, any more.
In one class I've actually got homework before the class starts. That was a first for me.
Most of my business, though, comes from:
1) Procrastinating the Dickens out of things that I should've been doing over the break. Not a big shocker, there.
2) "Extra"- curricular events. I'm in the constant process of taking on side projects to beef up my professional profile. Nevertheless, I got quite a shock the other day when my boss handed me a stack of all the resumes from all the T&I students of my year and I came to the horrible realization that mine, in comparison to theirs, looked as empty and as weak as an armorless Christian in the middle of the Colisseum (sp?). I asked my boss for advice. He was very helpful. However, now, in addition to the myriad pro-bono projects I have in my in-box, I now have a list of seminars that I really should attend, ranging everywhere from Chico to San Jose, and I should spend as much of my time as possible reading everything I can get my hands on concerning computer-assisted translation materials, localization processes, and general project management, so that I can feasably skip one class (that I was supposed to take this semester before they cancelled it).
On the bright side, though, it can't be all that bad- I do still seem to have time to write massive, whiny blogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home