Thursday, December 21, 2006

Alright, it's been a while, so this post will be rather lengthy. I got a lot to say. So for those of you like me who appreciate blogs that post shorter messages twice as often, grab your knitting. And, for those of you, also like me, who appreciate a good, long post that really lets you know what the crap is going on in the life/mind of the blogger, I hope this satiates your lust for blogs.

Item the first:

Happy Birthday, Frank Zappa, aka One Crazy Fella: Inspired musically by avant-gard classical composers, as well as the flicker of candles caused by the vocal vibrations of his mother's church choir. Possibly good, certainly weird, definitely one of a kind.

Item the second:
Appropriate, in my mind, that ol' FZ's birthday is also the Winter Solstice, aka Sheri's favorite day of the year, on account of after today, the daylight and sunshine get ever longer until june, when it's so warm outside that who cares anyway. In a mystical turn of events, today I received a visit from a Christmas ghost:
My dad's old '61 Volvo, aka "The Pumpkin." His car, of course was this totally radical shade of (you guessed it) pumpkin orange, and the only thing stopping this car from being a full-fledged member of the family was its own place setting at dinner.
Anyway, the car passed me on the freeway today, now turned a snowy white in its journey from the Underworld:

Is this too many pictures? Well, too bad. Anyway, that's the story. I had a trip playing leapfrog with this thing on my morning commute.

Item the third:
Speaking of Christmas, here's the historical origin of Santa Claus, at least according to NPR: In a town in Turkey, A man named Nicholas, or Klas, in Turkish, took it upon himself to save a man from having to sell his three daughters into slavery by leaving a bag of gold inside his house every night. After achieving sainthood, he became the patron saint of sailors, something that I can't remember, and small children. Of course, in order to escape all that pressure from the Papacy he took his team of reindeer and moved to the north. Pretty neat, eh? I always thought he was Russian. I tell you, the things you can learn on NPR...

Item the fourth:

Sheri and I looked at each other on Sunday night and said almost at the same time: "Boy, I could really go for some Nintendo." Seconds later Sheri was on the phone to our friend Akoni and I was in the car, not bothering to change out of my pajama pants, in order to fulfill our craving. Sure enough, not just that night, but every night since, until today, when we felt obliged to take it back, we've spent in front of the warm glow of the television making Mario the Avatar jump, smash bricks, squash goombas, and eat mushrooms at our command. Among the games rediscovered were Tetris, SMB, RC Pro-Am, and I even tried out American Gladiators a couple of times. What a great way to spend our pre-vacation evenings.

Item the fifth:
Looking forward to going to Utah tomorrow.

That is all.

End transmission.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Oh, Peter. I love you. You are a good and funny writer. I think you have always lead a whole life I have known little about and I just love getting to know this side of you. I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip to St. George and I can't wait to hang with you and Sheri.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home