Thursday, June 21, 2007

Hmmm. I suppose you could say that the Doldrums of Summer have officially arrived here on the Monterey Peninsula. The newest, most exciting piece of news that has happened here lately: My co-worker across the hall brought doughnuts in to work this morning, and I had one. It was chocolate frosted, and delicious.

Oh yeah, and Sheri and I have started to acquire baby furniture. We spent a couple of weeks crossing our fingers for a cheap deal on a crib on Craigslist or ebay or somewhere, but we finally cracked when we saw an entire bedroom set, complete with crib, changing table and dresser, for the unbelievable price of $200 from, you guessed it, WalMart.
My personal fears of purchasing WalMart furniture were assuaged when I brought them up to the three mothers and two other ladies that I work with, who, upon hearing the price, immediately and simultaneously said, "Buy it." One of them went on to add that who cares if the stuff is made out of cardboard - you're not looking to keep it forever, and the baby's going to make a mess out of it anyway.
So we bought it, and spent last Friday with a pizza and a set of alan wrenches putting it together. The results: pretty impressive, actually. Sure, it's made out of something slightly softer than balsa wood (remember the derby days, boy scouts? I could carve a car shape into that block of wood with a spoon...), and the edges on the crib need a little sanding, but the color is great, and they're light to move around, and they'll probably last just as long as we need them. It's easy to get your money's worth out of something that doesn't cost very much. Hats off to Simplicity Designs.
Well, that's about it. I suppose I could entertain with a couple of limericks that the IDFL boys and I traded yesterday. On the other hand, they were pretty PG-13, as limericks tend to be, and a couple of them are pretty rooted in obscure Star Trek references, so...maybe next time.

End Transmission

2 Comments:

Blogger Hydro said...

Man, can I relate to the crib story or what. Awesome.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blog Pete, but I must correct the derby part, perhaps you forgot the first word, "Pinewood" that's right, derby wood is pinewood, not balsa. For balsa, think of the wind-up wooden airplanes far softer and lighter than pine.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home