Sunday, April 22, 2007


Happy Day, Earth. Tomorrow, anyway.

More importantly, happy birthday to my real mom.
And, happy birthday to my blog, apparently. One year.

Fourthly, I have to run a correction. Sheri's birthday was actually the 18th, but I didn't post about it until the next day. So, in efforts to make reparations, Happy Birthday to my beautiful Eternal Companion. TQM, amorcito.

Anyway, last Saturday I had an interesting Earth Day experience. I spent the day in San Francisco at a TRADOS training seminar (nerdy translation software. If you haven't heard about it, don't sweat.) and on the way there, my school chums and I were swapping scary statistics about energy usage and stuff.

Did you know that 75% of energy into homes is used to light up those little LED screens on microwaves, VCR's and other electronics? And your phone charger and other appliances suck up power even when they're not connected to a phone and turned on?

Terrifying.

Anyway, on the BART ride back to our car, I was looking out the window at the sprawl of row houses that covered everything I could see, everyone's little pile of stuff with a cover on it (as George Carlin would say), and I was grateful that at the core of me I'm not a Big City kid. I love how small Marina is. I think if Sher and I end up in SLC again, the change will be hard.

Though, you have to ask: is anyone, really, a big city person? Or do we just end up places and have to deal with the cities we're in, bad traffic, pollution and skyrocketing housing prices and all? Something to ponder on your drive to work.

End Transmission.

ps- The worst part is I still drool over the thought of owning a house with a big yard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home