Monday, July 02, 2007

Several items to report this session, most of them from our trip to sunny Vegas to see Sheri's cousin get married. Let's get going:

1) Sheri's cousin got married. We drove to Vegas to see it.

2) All in all, it was a very enjoyable vacation. I'm usually not a big fan of Vegas, and I find myself getting tired of all the humanity there after a couple of hours; I mean the mindless entertainment, the nonstop driving you to spend and forget your troubles. It didn't help when, at the Hilton where we stayed, our bellboy kept saying in this dead, droning voice,
"ALL SHALL BE ASSIMILATED..."



Just kidding. It was a lot of fun.

Highlights of the trip:

a) see above photo
b) riding the Manhattan Express rolly-coaster
c) a great moment of nostalgia: When The Shblogger and the Boy who was a Ferre and I went to Vegas when we were sixteen (I still don't know how I talked my mom and dad into letting me do that) we spent a proper day or two in the arcades at Circus Circus and the Luxor building up our stockpile of arcade tickets, which we blew entirely on little green army men (note: these brave soldiers all met a dramatic fate when we put them under our windshield wipers on the way home and watched them blow away, one by one [or by the bunch, if we needed to get something off the windshield]). Well, this time 'round, my wife, my mother in law, my sister and two brothers in law did a near re-enactment, blowing our tickets this time on six matching wristwatches that didn't light up enough for you to be able to see what time it was.
d) The wedding was cool.

3) Sheri's mom threw her a baby shower the day after we arrived in St. George. One thing's for sure - our pea will be the best-dressed little bean on the PLANET. Thanks to everybody, especially Debbie, who put the shindig together, and to my parents, who took time out of their AMAZINGLY busy "retirement" schedule to come down and say hello.

4) We had a bit of car trouble over the course of the trip: Jeers to the Honda mechanic who kept me waiting (and eating doughnuts) four hours for a simple diagnostic on my car, and who was prepared to charge me $1500 for replacing my ABS system (not my abs, which do need an overhaul, expecially after all them doughnuts, blush) when it didn't need to be replaced. Cheers to the Honda mechanics here in Monterey, who ended up digging a little deeper and charging me about a tenth of that to fix the real problem, and who was willing to drive me and Sheri to and from work today.

5) I was on the phone with said wife today when we both looked around in search of the person who was rolling a boulder outside our respective offices. It took us a couple of seconds to realize that we had just survived our first California earthquake. 4.3, 25 miles away.

End Transmission.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bruce Kent said...

You know, as much as people scoff at the whole Star Trek thing, deep down everybody loves Star Trek (some more than others, blush). The universal truths portrayed throughout the comedy of errors that is galactic travel, should be the current prime directive; not command and conquer. (blush)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Hydro said...

Wow, I shed a little tear and let a little pee go with this post. Kudos.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home