Wednesday, August 29, 2007

So a couple of posts ago I commented on the irony of Tori Spelling's outrage at the violation of her privacy caused by members of the paparazzi, all whilst being filmed 24 hours a day. Well, as if Heaven itself reached down to hand me a slice of Humble Pie, I was recently made aware of a couple of other ironic tidbits in my own life:

1) There's this band called Maroon 5 that some of you may have heard or read about. Poppy, youthful, successful, they proudly wear the seal of approval stamped upon them by the MTV generation on their sleeve.

I don't really take to them. Granted, I don't really take to much that's on the radio nowadays (in fact I arrogantly live my musical life by the adage, if it's on the radio, it's not worth listening to), but I took a particular disliking to the Maroon Quintet when I really started listening to what they sing about. Good heavens! I didn't expect to hear such tales that would even make Howard Stern blush.

So one day one of their songs comes on the radio, and I'm just not in the mood. I may say something to the effect of "what is this world coming to putting such teeny-bopper grunge nastiness on the airwaves. I don't know how kids today listen to this stuff without paying attention to the misogynistic lyrics." So to calm myself, I put in a CD. What do I put in? That's right: the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Ever hear the lyrics to a RHCP song? Oops! (for further musical commentary and argument, please see the comments page to this post.)

Moral: glass houses, kids.

2) A couple posts back I was commenting how busy my life is about to become. Six days and counting, by the way. Secretly, I have been wishing that I didn't have to work so much so that I could have a little breathing room in my schedule.

In the mean time, the president of the company, along with the director of my department, have been creating positions and interviewing people for those positions that would effectively eliminate their need for me to work for them anymore. What am I going to be thinking in a few weeks? Gee, I wish I could work more so that we could have a little financial breathing room.

Moral: Be careful what you wish for, kids.

Which brings us, and more to the point, me, to an interesting crossroads. My company is actually offering me a full-time position, on the condition (of course) that I take a leave of absence from school. I am completely torn down the middle as to what to do. Any advice? Please?

End Long-Winded Transmission.

3 Comments:

Blogger napalmbrain said...

There is an important difference, though, between RHCP and M5 (definitely NOT to be confused with the MC5) that needs to be discussed. The fact that I was surprised, even taken aback at the fact that all that M5 sang about was doing it girls, says something. And I think that most M5 fans, who tend, in my experience, to be the clean-cut shower-daily crowd, would be just as confused that the poppy, glossy, mainstream sound that this band produces could be the delivery mechanism for such a potent dose of explicitness. I mean, look around at the people on the street you see singing M5 lyrics. Do they know that they're singing about "the nasty," in all its forms? The Peppers, on the other hand, make (or rather made) their living by putting their explicit, affronting nature right out there for everyone to see. Quite literally, in fact, citing such examples as the "sock-on-the-crotch" concert. One knows what they're getting into when they buy an RHCP album. And for that they earn my respect, even though I don't subscribe to their LA club lifestyle.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/2007/08/27/stay_at_home_dad/index.html

In a somewhat-related vein to your 2nd topic, the overwhelming nature of parenthood and modern adult life. While the (short) article was somewhat interesting, the pretty feisty comments (on both sides of the argument) made for interesting reading. ;)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm, that link didn't come out. Lemme try it again: link to article

-c

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home